How I Used Prompt Engineering to Summarize 50+ Pages of Policy Docs in 5 Minutes

 

🔍 Problem:

You were handed a 57-page internal policy document on information security. You didn’t have the time (or patience) to read it all, but you still needed to understand the key points and prepare a 1-slide summary for a leadership review.

💡 Solution:

I used prompt engineering with ChatGPT to quickly extract the essence — without missing important details.


🛠️ Step-by-Step Approach:

✅ Step 1: Break the Document into Chunks

Prompt:
“You will receive a long document in parts. Please wait until I say ‘Done’ before summarizing.”

I pasted 4–5 pages at a time.

✅ Step 2: Summarize Each Section

Prompt (after each chunk):
“Summarize the key points from this chunk in bullet points. Keep language simple and professional.”

This gave me section-wise summaries.

✅ Step 3: Ask for a High-Level Overview

Prompt:
“Now summarize the entire document into:

  • 5 key takeaways

  • 3 risks to watch

  • 2 actions needed from my team”

This gave me an executive-ready summary.

✅ Step 4: Generate a Slide Summary

Prompt:
“Create a concise, bullet-point slide with these points for a 1-slide deck. Make it formal.”

ChatGPT gave me a formatted version I could copy-paste into PowerPoint.


🚀 Outcome:

  • ⏱️ Saved 4–5 hours of manual reading

  • 📊 Created a clean summary slide in under 10 minutes

  • ✅ Leaders appreciated the clarity and speed

  • 🔄 Reused the same approach for future policy and compliance docs


🎯 Key Prompt Engineering Takeaways:

  • Tell the model your goal up front ("You are my policy summarizer")

  • Use chunking for large docs (500–1000 words per chunk)

  • Frame requests clearly (“Summarize in bullets”, “Give action items”)

  • Ask for formats ("Make it PowerPoint-ready")


💬 Have you tried using AI to speed up boring, repetitive tasks? Share your case in the comments!


** AI generated. But I would like to have a single place where people can come and take ideas from and use in their real life.

Comments

  1. I’ve been exploring AI tools recently, and Prompt engineering with ChatGPT feels like the right direction to get better results.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How do I use Prompts in ChatGPT for asking queries about my astrology chart?